Thursday, October 17, 2013

Read the Word...


I have a new Bible.  The one I have been using, which I fell heir to when I married 26 1/2 years ago, is falling apart.  
Literally.  The pages are ragged and loose.  It is full of pencil marks and notes. It has seen me through marriage, babies, children, teens, sickness, death, health, good days, and bad days...life.
It has been knocked off my lap, whole books torn out by little hands. 
 I don't want a new one, this one feels so nice in my hands, it is well worn, and has seen me through so much.  


I know my new Bible reads the same as my other one.  It's the same Bible, just newer.  I know I will love it just as well when it gets broken in.  But, it is hard to get rid of something that has been a part of my every days life for so long. 
I want my new one to finish with me.  
And, I want to read it without picking pages off the floor, and guessing the letters that have worn off the edges.  
It's just hard to make the change.



5 comments:

The Chairman's Wife said...

I got a new one last year and I'm still trying to get used to it!

Brenda said...

An old Bible is like an old friend.

Renee said...

I totally know what you are saying. Mine feels as much a part of me as my fingers and toes.

Darcie said...

I completely, completely, completely know what you are talking about! I smile too, because my dad got a new bible(my mom bought for him), I don't know if he EVER used it...just couldn't give up his old one.

Ruth S. said...

I'm still using the one my parents gave me 41 years ago for my birthday and I dread the day I may need a new one. I know many have switched to the Bible/Hymn book combo, which is so nice and compact, but I just cannot give up the one that's a part of me.