Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Crib Story

This is the story my Grandma Verna Black told. When she was expecting my father in 1935, in the middle of the Great Depression Years, they didn't have much money,  Jay Borland (Clyde Borland's brother), offered to give them a crib if they would name Dad after him.  They named the baby Thomas, thinking that was his real name.  Later, they found out his birth name was Tommy, but everyone called  him Jay. Clyde Borland was Aunt Edith's husband, Grandpa Orville Black's sister. In 2011, my dad and the crib are 76 years old.  After Dad, four of his brother's children, all four of his own, all three of my children, great grandson Zane have all slept in this crib.  Now, when baby Barry comes to visit, he sleeps in THE CRIB.



2 comments:

The J's said...

I've always thought what a cute little crib it was. Special that you have it to make memories with!

Raimie said...

Dear Shelley,
What a sweet story! I still remember the little folding crib my mom had for her babies. I should ask her for the "story" behind it...

Love,
Raimie Lu