Thursday, May 14, 2015

Back on the Operating Table

The first tests are over, the first ear surgery is finished.  It was out patient surgery, but as it was done with general anesthesia I went home with a sore throat as well as a sore ear.  
It is hard to be a creative writer when under the influence of pain killers, so this will be just the facts. 

Monday, I had an extensive hearing test starting with the normal beeps to each ear,  then words spoken by the audiologist (one of which I could not get even after repeating), then a man's voice.  
Next, was a test where they put electrodes on my forehead and behind my ears to measure the nerve  function.  That test is a variety of harsh noises delivered through ear plug type things.
During the consultation afterwards we learned that my hearing as it stood then, was bad.  Severe to profound to be exact,  
What they are hoping to do with the surgeries is bring back my hearing to what it was last September, because the nerve function I have is the same as then.  The hearing I had then is not very good, but better than I had before surgery. (which is like going around with your fingers in your ears for people with normal hearing.) And if my hearing can be restored to those levels through the mastoid being cleaned out and the ear drum repaired (both ears) I would need "normal" hearing aids.

I've discovered I don't want implants.  The outside snap on part is about the size of a peanut.  They try to choose the best side to put the implant on so you have better hearing in only one ear, and yes you can have one for each side, but not usually. Then they can't be around water, the skin site they are snapped on to has to be cleaned.  Mine would have to be put toward the back so it could get in the way and snap off.  

So, I'm hoping for the best. 

The first day my ear was covered up with a shield.

After the shield was off, Jim took a bow off my glasses to protect the incision site.  It didn't work very well.  With the glasses perched precariously on my nose it made me sick to my stomach to look at the computer.  So, it went back on before too long. 

Here's a photo of my nice little corner in my bedroom with Mother's Day flowers to look at. 

And the rose from the surgery center. 

I am home resting now, especially in-between painkiller tablets, which usually results in napping. 

This surgery will need to be done again on the right side in 3 or 4 months.  


Bonita Sue said...

It's never ending, isn't it? I'm thankful for all that you've gone through so that we can still have you and enjoy you. I'm hoping for better than expected results with your hearing. Lots of love from the north woods...

The Chairman's Wife said...

Aw so sorry you have to go through all this too! Hope too for good results!

Dodie said...

Hoping this day is a better feeling day for you. Yes, we can all hope for "better than expected" results! May as well aim high.
Bon is in the northwoods, and I am in the southwoods which looks tremendously like southwest WI... because it is RIGHT across the river from LaCrosse, where I am at the moment.
Take care, and yes may I add...thanks for enduring!

Renee said...

I just feel the same way as all of the above and I love you too!!

Darcie said...

Hope you are healing comfortably, and that the surgery will be of some help for you. You had some beautiful flowers to look at, hope they helped cheer you!