Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Listing Sort of Week

When I think about starting another post in this weekly blog, I look to see what photos I've taken this week.  I see this week it mostly outside ones.  
I have a "52 lists for the year" journal that Lynette gave me for my birthday.  I don't always make the list because, well, I don't make play lists to listen to with my non-existent desire to have one, for example.  I despise ear buds.  
So, I always find something to say on the subject and since I'm not being tested or judged on how well I follow the instructions on each page to the letter, I don't really care if there is a list there or not.
I'm enjoying the opportunity to write about different subjects.  
One of the lists was favorite things about fall, so I took my camera out on my (nearly) daily walk and took a few photos.  
My favorite thing about October is its "bright blue weather."
I notice in spring we tend to get those bright blue skies as well, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the angle of the sun at that time of year, since we live in an area where the sun varies its place in the sky in wide sweeps in the course of the years.  
So, before I go on with some of the more exhausting events of the week, here are the photos.






I'm taking it easy today and I'm enjoying it.  I've been so busy since the beginning of September that I don't know whether I'm coming or going and have been feeling the effects of it.  
(Mostly exhaustion)

Friday, Jim and I went up to 'the farm' to cut wood.  I didn't walk that day because I thought I would get more than enough exercise, putting some wood chunks in the pickup.  I did. Way too much and I had to sit and watch the rest of the time.  I don't like to sit around and watch someone else work, but sometimes I have to, whether I like it or not.  
Saturday we attended the funeral of a very dear aunt.  She was always young at heart, and loved to play with her nieces and nephews.  I would like to do some sort of a tribute and find photos, but I haven't done it yet.  I've been busy and tired.
Sunday we had company.  We took Lynette's future in-laws out to dinner (at noon) because after being gone all day with a 3 hour drive to the funeral and back, when Lynette said, "I forgot to tell you, we need some dinner", only she probably said lunch. I really tried to get the breakfast, dinner, supper idea ingrained in my kids, but it didn't work.  
They are all the 'breakfast, lunch and dinner' kind.  Sigh.
I think we would have been better off if we could have stayed with Lorene's idea when we was about three years old, 'breakfast, first eat and second eat.'
So, there wasn't any dinner at our house, so we went out.  We needed to have a celebratory dinner anyway for Lynette's 21st birthday.  
The rest of the day would have been fine and not stressful with time to rest, except I got a bladder infection and had to go into the Quick Care Clinic and be miserable for the rest of the day.  
Monday... Normal stuff, only a lot of it.  I should have done some laundry already, there were errands to run and a trip to look at Bridal gowns.  I had an appointment with my oncologist in the afternoon and I remembered when it was about time to go to check and see if the chest x-ray he ordered had been sent over from my clinic to his.  
"No."  ARRGH
That x-ray was taken a week ahead so this wouldn't happen.  I specifically told the x-ray nurses what was supposed to happen to it, and "oh, yes, we'll take care of it."  
They didn't.
Anyway, after the oncology appt, I stopped in at the clinic to check the status, and they "were working on it".  I got the call yesterday that my x-ray was fine, so I'm assuming the x-ray and the oncologist finally met up.   And there is a puddle of water on the floor.
And I forgot to do payroll.  Fortunately, it doesn't really need to be finished until 5 pm on Tuesday, but an extra day is a good thing.
Tuesday...Jim had a physical and I went to knitting group. It's fall break for Lorene so no boys this week.  I was making a nice supper when ....where is all this water coming from?  I emptied the cupboard under the sink; the the drain is leaking.  I mopped the floor and cleaned out under the sink (good chance to get it clean, plenty of water), and put a bucket under there.  I don't know what Jim had planned for the evening, but it turned out to be, fix the pipe under the sink.   
Wednesday...I had a physical and mentioned the x-ray business and obviously there had been a bit of a flap going on over the deal, because my doctor said he told his nurses anyway, what protocol with
x-rays need to be and hopefully we won't have this kind of kerfluffle again.  
That word is really supposed to be kerfuffle, (no L).  Sad, I like my way. 
Then as I was having a leisurely look-see through Menards, I got a call, "company's coming for supper", and no birthday cake made.  So, I worked like crazy all afternoon, cooking squash to run through the seive, making birthday cake, getting supper and dumping one of the cakes, not quite done, all over the oven floor and into the 'pots and pans' drawer.  
Sigh again.  
I'm taking it easy today.  

Yesterday's sunrise. 

I have run on quite long enough in this blog. 

I wonder if you can see that little curl of hair poking out from behind my ear? (left side of photo)
That represents how long it has been since I've had surgery on any ear.
YAY!!!


Happy Birthday to my baby.   

“October’s Bright Blue Weather”
O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October’s bright blue weather;
When loud the bumble-bee makes haste,
Belated, thriftless vagrant,
And Golden-Rod is dying fast,
And lanes with grapes are fragrant;
When Gentians roll their fringes tight
To save them for the morning,
And chestnuts fall from satin burrs
Without a sound of warning;
When on the ground red apples lie
In piles like jewels shining,
And redder still on old stone walls
Are leaves of woodbine twining;
When all the lovely wayside things
Their white-winged seeds are sowing,
And in the fields, still green and fair,
Late aftermaths are growing;
When springs run low, and on the brooks,
In idle golden freighting,
Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush
Of woods, for winter waiting;
When comrades seek sweet country haunts,
By twos and twos together,
And count like misers, hour by hour,
October’s bright blue weather.
O suns and skies and flowers of June,
Count all your boasts together,
Love loveth best of all the year
October’s bright blue weather.
Helen Hunt Jackson


2 comments:

Anita said...

I think that is the October poem that my grandfather likes and quotes, too. Made me smile. ☺

Anita said...

She's P.S. I do like that little bit of hair!