Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Flag Day


Today is Flag Day. So I went and took a picture of flag flying in the wind.  
This is MY Country's flag. 

 Eighty-five years ago my grandparents were married on this day.  



Today is also Blog Day.  I was going to blog earlier but I was winding some yarn into a ball to finish my latest project.  I am almost done and since I'm using two strands of yarn I had the not-so-bright idea to wind a two strand ball with both ends of the skein at the same time.  
I should have known better.  I've tried this before.  If I would be careful when I do this it might work.  What I ended up with was a gargantuan (I love that word) pile of tangled yarn,  Just imagine taking an entire skein of yarn apart, piling it on the floor and tossing it around with your hands a few times and then try to wind it up again.  I spent an hour untangling my mess.  I wonder if I've learned anything.  I DID NOT take any photos.  

Anyway, about the rest of the week. I had the boys for a while one day while my daughter went to look for a new vehicle.  I don't know what prompted us to go outside and pick flowers,....oh yes, someone found scissors.  So, three boys, armed and ready, and I went outside to look at the flowers.  I, as always, said, "You can pick all the flowers you want, just get a long stem."  They followed my orders so well that we floated all the blossoms in the water, since nothing had a stem longer than an inch.  I wonder what they think a short stem would be. 


They wanted to pick a hollyhock blossom, but couldn't figure out how to get a stem, so we made a hollyhock lady. Zane was the only one interested since toothpicks were involved.  


The sun came up this week.  When I look through the pine trees on the north edge of our property, I see the sun as a glowing ball.  The camera doesn't.
I like to watch it's progression from the very north to the very south.  


This is the new vehicle.  It looks like a van to me, but it's a crossover.  I think they need a better name for it. 


We have a bird feeder hanging from the ash tree in the front of the house.  It is supposed to attract interesting birds.  I suppose if we bought interesting bird seed that might work.  The corn we use attracts grackles, house sparrows, and squirrels. There was a red-headed woodpecker there the other day, but he doesn't use the feeder.  

This little squirrel has a bad leg.  Jim was feeling sorry for it so he built this nice little shelf for him to sit on and eat his corn.   The birds use it too. 




We were all set on Saturday to have a good couple hours work on our flower garden reconstruction project.  About a half-hour in, Jim's back 'went out', or whatever it is when that particular muscle spasms, and hurts so bad he can't do anything except eat pain killer and use an ice pack.  It has happened on and off over the years, and we really don't know what causes it.  I can feel a little lump at the spot, and it's not getting any better.  I suppose sometime this week we'll find ourselves adorning the waiting room in our doctor's office. 

1 comment:

Renee said...

I seriously went, "Gasp, that can't be so...85 years ago?!" Wow, time goes fast. Weren't they just the CUTEST couple going in the history of ever! :) I still miss them...wouldn't we just love to go through the gate and up the steps, and onto the porch and through the door, and into the kitchen and past the stairs and then lay our eyes upon them sitting in their chairs there in the living room. I love that visual!!!!!