Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Another Week...

...more produce

I was so tired after walking my 15 minutes and picking in the garden this morning that I had to sit down.  I was so annoyed.  I used to be able to do these things and not turn a hair.  I was going to write a celebratory post on a week's worth of 15 minute walking as a renewal of an earlier resolution.  
This time I am wanting to walk and I'm enjoying it, It's not "oh, great, I said I was going to do this so I better to keep my resolution", type thing for the first time in my life.  
I started out arm-swinging, enjoying the blue sky with little puffy clouds over the green trees, and at the 10 minutes mark I had slowed down pacing myself.  Surely, after two weeks, after a good breakfast I could do better than this??
Since it's going to be over 90 degrees this afternoon, the only time to pick garden was right then, so I did, and puffed all the way back to the house.  I just couldn't face the putting away of all the corn paraphernalia (rats, missed the spelling on that one the first time) from last night, cleaning out the dishwasher, looking out jars, and all the other things pertaining to canning cucumbers.  I was just too tired.  
So, I made a green smoothie and loaded the pictures.

The garden is going great guns.  Here are Saturday's vegetables.

And part of the outcome.

Here's what happened on Saturday:

            It had rained a couple days in a row so Jim and I armed with our array of buckets descended on the garden about 8 am and got thoroughly (didn’t do so well on that one) muddy.  Then I rested awhile and Jim helped me get the beans cut (6 cups), dill pickles in jars (4 qt.), bread and butter pickles, (4qt, 3pt), Caddie pickles in jars (6 qt.) and 6 pints of zucchini relish. I didn’t blanch the 4 cups of sliced yellow squash, or slice the 2 pints of strawberries and 6 pints of blueberries I bought on Friday.  I was too tired.  I’m not looking forward to any more garden produce, but with the weather going to be hot the next few days, I’m going to have stuff growing out of my ears!  (I’m not slicing the blueberries, I’ll just sort them).
            Since I was out and muddy from picking garden, I stayed out a while longer to pick two buckets of rocks.  It’s so easy to get them up out of wet ground.  I probably need 10 more buckets to finish.  My bucket isn’t very big, it gets heavy.  It’s about ice cream bucket size.  Then Jim and I weeded a bit in the flower garden, and I came in and had a shower.  That’s when I rested and got started on all that preservation. 

Like I mentioned before we did corn last night, and last Thursday.  Jim wanted to do corn tonight, I said, "Not if I'm involved!"

Lorene's family come and help us.  The boys like the shuck and cob dumping part best. 

The backyard view.  

Here is part of my other harvest on Saturday. We got these out of the garden.

Lorene and boys.

This mushroom seems to be a perennial.  

Lynette using her creative skills.  

Can you see what is going on here with this broom?  I was getting the broom out and just set it aside before I swept.  I didn't stand it up there on purpose.  So, I left it there to see if would stay there long enough for Jim to see it.  It did.
I didn't leave it there to see how long it would stay up.  I wanted to sweep the floor before night.  
It was a few hours like that anyway. 

I haven't tried it again.  I have too many other things to do.  


Darcie said...

You have been hard at work for sure! Hope you can cut yourself some slack with your walking, knowing that you are giving your energy to a lot of other things too! Keep up all the good work. :-)

Anita said...

Are you collecting the rocks for something?
Gardens are amazing!