Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hank the Cowdog


I was listening to a Hank the Cowdog CD this morning while I was doing up the morning's work, and I had a pleasant thought while John Erickson was singing the final song. When we discovered Hank when the kids were little we took Hank tapes (they were cassettes then) on every trip we went.  We all loved them and listened to them for about 5 years and several times through until the kids decided they were done.

During this time we had the good fortune of the library invited John Erickson to the library to visit.  It was a big deal.  It was free, but with limited floor space in the activity room, it was a ticket only event.  I got our tickets, about 5 minutes after we heard the news.

It was fantastic!!  We all sat crammed on the floor with a couple hundred other parents and children, (It's a good thing that the fire marshal wasn't invited.), ready to listen.  He sang, he read, and it is really true that all those different voices come from that one old cowboy.  There was Sally Mae, Wallace and Junior, Rip and Snort. and all the other beloved characters that those who love Hank, know well.

That was one of the most fun things we ever did as a family.  (The kids will probably dispute this, citing snowboarding as theirs.  I can do without winter sports anymore)  No matter how old I am, if I get another chance to hear him again.  I will go, and Jim will come with me.  I know he will, he enjoyed it too.

It doesn't take much for us.

1 comment:

Anita said...

I love Hank the Cowdog! Hank, Muh leg hurts, Hank, muh leg hurts...
Good Old Drover!
I'd go along to listen to him! Lucky you!