Monday, October 22, 2012

Feeling Better

It's been a long time again since updating this blog.  But, I've been enjoying myself with a little crocheting, reading, (which I haven't done for ages) and napping.  And, I've been not enjoying myself with some extra office work that requires phone calling and online bother.  Jim has to do some of my phone calling but I am getting so if I talk slowly and keep my mouth wet I can talk for awhile.  It still hurts to talk too long. Talking isn't fun yet, though.
I had a doctor's appointment this morning to see my oncology doctor and had blood taken and a chest x-ray.  I was hoping they could take the blood from the port and flush it since it is supposed to be flushed about once a month.  But, it didn't work as usual.  I'm ready to have the thing out and forget about it.  It has had to have some fancy medicine put in every time to dissolve some web thing that covers the tube and doesn't let the blood come out.  So, they did that again and we talked to our doctor about having the port out since it doesn't work.  
We asked the same question of our Omaha Doctor last week, and he was of the mind to wait to see if we would want to use it again, but our doctor today said if there was treatment done again it would be totally different and we might not need a port at all.  So, he's in favor of having it out after I have my MRI which should be done in a couple of weeks in Omaha. 
 I was supposed to have the MRI done this time but, I'm still producing plenty of mucus from my sinuses so he wanted to wait.  That's a good thing.  It is hard to lie flat for that long with mucus in your head.  I'm not sure I'll be ready in two weeks either. 
I am getting better for sure, but it is slow going and some times hard to believe is it happening at all.   I know I am though, because I am getting more strength all the time.  It is hard to know what to start thinking about first.  Mostly now, it is office work and it is hard to think about all the things I used to do so effortlessly and I need to be starting some of them up.  
I'm not sure what I should start on first.


Brenda said...

So glad you are doing better, bit by bit!

Anonymous said...

It was so good to hear from you! I guess no news is good news, but I had been wondering...not to make you feel guilty about not writing or anything! I'm thankful that you are feeling better and gaining strength...keep on enjoying yourself. You deserve it!

Sending love from Wisner!

Oleva said...

Good to hear from you again, and glad for every "bit of better" and that you are aware of it yourself.
Think of you every day.
C. and O.

Anonymous said...

Shelley, you are amazing! I can hardly imagine you making phone calls at this point, but you've amazed me all the way through this ordeal! Again, I love your attitude and spirit through all this! It was good to see your sis-in-law, Dorothy at a funeral last week---had a wee visit with her and got her perspective on your situation. You are fortunate to have such caring sisters-in-law, not to mention a wonderful and caring husband-----also a host of family and friends! Thanks, again, for keeping us posted and we're hoping that things will keep improving for you.
Barb K.

gkey said...

Dear dear friend,
Thinking of you all today @ the Kleeb house.
Words fail in expressing how much we care for all of you!
Please feel hugged by us today.
From me & mine here.

Dan & Cyndie said...

just loving that you are sounding more like our Shelley once again :)
with much love & care from us both

The J's said...

So good to hear from you again!
Time, time, time! That was some pretty hefty stuff your body went thru and it will take time to get yourself back to feeling, thinking and doing normally again.
Take care my friend!

Anita said...

And I hope the upward motion has continued!!
So many things I wouldn't have thought of- like the MRI with a head full of mucus... sounds horrible. I do hope you'll have significantly less of that by the time you have the MRI...