Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Books


I don't read very many new books, but this one caught my eye in the library's "new books". I read the jacket and thought it would be the very thing for me to read as I navigate the unknown territory of grandmothering. It was purported to be a collection of "real life" essays of grandmothering; the good, the bad and the ugly.
It is edited by and has an introduction by Nebraska women. I loved the first section of heartwarming stories of what we would all like our experience to be. The rest is more "down to earth" telling stories of what people are like today, more divorces or never marrieds, among the parents and grandparents. Some of the stories are not fun reads, some are sad in that people can't make better choices in their lives. Three of the stories use a BAD word, and I almost didn't read any more of it. (The problem I have is those words tend to stick in my mind, I'm not good at bleeping over them.) The introduction is the very best part. I loved part of it and liked most of it. It is a good book for showing what grandmother/children/grandchildren relationships are like in this day and age.

3 comments:

nanaKey said...

thanks Shel, I will put it on my list of 'must reads'. You did a great job with your book review.

Anonymous said...

hey, it was special to find this blog as I hadn't known that you were doing this....very nice :) Cyndie

The J's said...

I'm looking forward to reading it too.